News

Trump’s border czar announces 700 immigration officers to immediately leave Minnesota

Trump’s border czar announces 700 immigration officers to immediately leave Minnesota

White House border czar Tom Homan holds a news conference at the Bishop Whipple Federal building on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson) Photo: Associated Press


By STEVE KARNOWSKI Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Trump administration is reducing the number of immigration enforcement officers in Minnesota after state and local officials agreed to cooperate by turning over arrested immigrants, border czar Tom Homan said Wednesday.
About 700 of the roughly 3,000 federal officers deployed around Minnesota will be withdrawn, Homan said. The immigration operations have upended the Twin Cities and escalated protests, especially since the killing of protester Alex Pretti, the second fatal shooting by federal officers in Minneapolis.
“Given this increase in unprecedented collaboration, and as a result of the need for less public safety officers to do this work and a safer environment, I am announcing, effective immediately, we’ll draw down 700 people effective today — 700 law enforcement personnel,” Homan said during a news conference.
Homan said last week that federal officials could reduce the number of federal agents in Minnesota, but only if state and local officials cooperate. His comments came after President Donald Trump seemed to signal a willingness to ease tensions in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area.
Homan pushed for jails to alert ICE to inmates who could be deported, saying transferring such inmates to the agency is safer because it means fewer officers have to be out looking for people in the country illegally.
The White House has long blamed problems arresting criminal immigrants on places known as sanctuary jurisdictions, a term generally applied to state and local governments that limit law enforcement cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security.
When questioned, Homan said he thinks the ICE operation in Minnesota has been a success.
“Yeah, I just listed a bunch of people we took off the streets of the Twin Cities, so I think it’s very effective as far as public safety goes,” Homan said. “Was it a perfect operation? No. No. We created one unified chain of command to make sure everybody is on the same page. And make sure we follow the rules. I don’t think anybody, purposely, didn’t do something they should have done.”
___
Associated Press reporter Corey Williams in Detroit contributed.

Recent Headlines

2 days ago in Olympics, Sports, Trending

Alysa Liu dazzles to win figure skating gold, ending a 24-year Olympic drought for US women

The 20-year-old from the San Francisco Bay Area, who walked away from the sport before finding her way back again — and finding herself in the process — delivered the U.S. its first women's figure skating gold medal in 24 years.

3 days ago in National, Trending

Iran and the US lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

Iran and the United States leaned into gunboat diplomacy on Thursday as nuclear talks between the nations hung in the balance....

3 days ago in Music

U2’s new music honors Renee Good and draws inspiration from world events

U2 is returning with its first collection of new songs in nearly a decade, opening with a tribute to Renee Good...

3 days ago in Trending, World

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over ties to Epstein

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former British prince who was stripped of his royal titles because of his links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein...

3 days ago in Music

A rare Paul McCartney and Wings trove heads to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this summer

A collection of Paul McCartney instruments, outfits, handwritten lyrics, unseen photos and tour memorabilia will be part of an exhibit at...